Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kelsey Moody at the AQHA World Show


Kelsey and Blue


This article appeared on gohorseshow.com. Congratulations to Kelsey on a fabulous show!

Our nice streak of weather is nowhere to be found on this nasty rainy and windy day in Oklahoma City. It would be my mom and sister’s luck to just miss the sun and warm breeze. Despite the gross weather outside, we all wake up, get dressed, and head out to the show. It seems while my excitement has worn off, my family has caught the World Show fever; we couldn’t be there early enough.

The show was kicked off today with five different halter classes, and then four other hunter classes. First up on the list of riding classes was the Equitation on the Flat. This class is such an elegant class to watch, especially with the ‘queen’ of the Equitation, Jessica Johnson and Royalty in Blue in it. In my opinion, not many people can compare to Jessica with that leg of steel and perfect posture.

Today, it was two black horses left standing in the middle of the pen, and who else was it but Jessica Johnson and Kelsey Moody. Kelsey has quite an inspirational story behind her pretty smile and bubbly attitude.

On the arena floor you can see Kelsey start to cry when it the announcer gets down to just two, and I look over to my right I can see her mom, Kay Moody, jumping around in her seat! She was one proud mama. Both girls look over and congratulate each other as the announcer calls Kelsey out as the Reserve World Champion. She leans over and gives her partner, Blue, a big pat on the neck. I couldn’t be happier for anyone.

I met up with Kelsey soon after she got finished with pictures and what not. When I asked Kelsey what this accomplishment meant to her, she said, “I feel like I already won, because Jessica is so good it’s almost like she’s in a league of her own.” What good sportmanship.


Kelsey goes to school at Saint Andrew’s Presbyterian College in Laurinsburg, NC where she rides on the IHSA English and Western team. Ms. Moody will graduate in May of 2011. Kelsey was no new comer to the world show scene, but this was her first year at the AQHA Amateur World Show. Back in 2006 she and Blue were 6th in the Horsemanship and finalist in the Trail, Eq, and Western Riding at the Youth World. Then in 2007 she was 8th in the Horsemanship and 7th in the Showmanship. Her last year in youth she didn’t have the chance to show Blue, but she did have a top ten finish on her pleasure horse, Hot Lil Mama. To add to Kelsey’s List of accomplishments, she was 7th in the Trail and 10th in the Horsemanship here at the Amateur World Show, along with her newly awarded Reserve World Champion in Equitation.

Blue got hurt back in 2007 after the Youth World and the Colvin team managed to get him through another year, but ended up not being able to show at the 2008 Youth World, and had to give him some time off. Kelsey said they didn’t know if he’d ever be able to show again. She smiles and says, “I’m so glad he’s alive and it’s such a blessing to get to show.” I remember showing for a few years with Kelsey in the youth, and it’s obvious this big pretty gelding had way too much heart to give up now. Seems like he’s got many years of talent left to put in the show pen.

I asked Kelsey what she thought of the pattern today, and she said, “ My favorite part to the pattern was the hand gallop. I’m glad they are making Equitation more English rather than horsemanship in English attire. The hardest part, to me, was the hand gallop to the stop.” Which might I add, she nailed it perfectly.

I also wanted to ask, for all you trying to improve your equitation, what Kelsey’s secret to a super tight equitation leg was. She laughs, and says, “I give lots of credit to my coach at school. I get to ride the crazy warmbloods without stirrups. It just takes lots of practice and riding time.” As Charlene Carter would say, “perfect practice makes perfect.”

Plans for the talented duo are just to continue showing. This true all around girl says she might want to take up some reining in the future. We don’t want to leave mama Kay out; Kelsey says she will probably show Blue some in the Select Trail.

Once again, congratulations to Double T Blue Chip and Kelsey Moody in the Amateur Equitation.

Today for the McMullen’s was quite slow. We mostly visited ALL the shops in the trade shows, watched the Amateur Classes, and then hurried back to catch the always entertaining Working Cowhorse. A class that, when I am an Amateur, and my parents have sold my horses, I might want to take up. After the Cowhorse ended, we all ordered take out at the Cheesecake Factory then sat around and visited with our good friend Julie at her trailer. It’s Friday night, so I know we are leaving Sunday morning, but I wish we could be here another week. One more full day of reporting I have left for you, so I’ll try my hardest to make it a good one!

Back Soon,

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment