Wednesday, May 2, 2012


IHSA Nationals – One Perspective

I picked up 5 western horses in Laurinburg this morning and with the help of Liz Dulski and Rachel Buckler, loaded quickly. Pebbles wanted some baskets from the TH classroom for hospitality and Kellie had requested more double ended snaps for the barn. We also packed feed tubs and a hose. The drive was thankfully uneventful and I arrived 30 minutes ahead of Peggy’s minute by minute schedule. As I turned into the Fairgrounds I was greeted by Alexandra Fullerton one of the SAU interns for the event. She directed me to the barn where an army descended on the trailer to unload the horses. Carla helped me park the trailer while Kellie settled the horses.

Thankfully, much of the set-up had been done over the last few days, so the afternoon was relaxed aside from the arrival of horses. Carla did an incredible job of persuading her friends to lend their horses for the show. During the afternoon several horses were delivered that Kellie dubbed “orphans” as they had no one staying to care for them. The SAU students become their foster parents for the duration of the show. Other horses arrived with their care providers from various schools and were helped by the overall stable manager, Jen, with their stall placement.

Orders for shavings and hay came in all afternoon. Tyler with the help of Jake and anyone else who was available took care of these. The SAU interns were everywhere taking care of everything! I wandered around and visited with parents, current students, alums and IHSA officials. I spent a few minutes with Heather who was numbering ducks for the draw table; briefly visited with Pebbles who seemed to be feeding everyone and taking care of the officials; and tried to help Kellie and Carla with their jobs.

As the day wound down, I checked in with Kellie and Carla and then headed to the hotel to check in. I was expecting to share a room maybe even a bed, but no, true to southern hospitality, I have my own room, at a very nice hotel, with complimentary water and chocolate chip cookies on the table. Thank you Peggy, I love southern hospitality!

As one person said, “it takes a village, no wait a minute, it takes a mid-size town!” I agree whole heartedly!

I will try to post each day for the next few days, time permitting. Good luck to all the Knights riding in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment