Thursday, July 25, 2013

Alumni and Friends of St. Andrews - Part 7

St. Andrews students form close bonds with their class mates, roommates, fellow students and with the school itself. Many people made time to attend the competition to support the school and the equestrian team for a day and in many cases for the entire week. They took vacation time from their jobs, organized child care with family members and traveled large distances to come and be a part of something greater than themselves. They were all volunteers, many were not even asked for their help and they all came back to give back to St. Andrews and IHSA. Leah Davison (living in California) was typical of the alumni that took time out of their daily lives to be in Raleigh. “I took off a week from work,” she recalls, “and got to St. Andrews a couple days before Nationals, to help get them ready to go up there. While I was in Laurinburg, I helped organize the prizes in the farm house, I made the sheet for the barns on where all the college's horses would go, getting the horses ready by riding them, getting equipment and all the prizes and other things packed, and getting the horses ready to be shipped. I then rode down to Raleigh to help out even more! While I was there, Heather and I created the duck pond and the draw table, making sure all the colleges bringing horses had everything they needed. I helped at the barn with chores and making sure that all the horses were taken care of, including being a warm up rider. Pretty much did anything that St. Andrews needed me to do, including being a seamstress for the western team! I was always running from the arena to the barn to watch one of our riders. I would also make sure that our horses were going when they were needed and were properly warmed up. I donated my first western show shirt for the silent auction that sold, along with a custom show shirt that sold!”


Kira Gainey living in Baltimore, MD with two small children and her husband Brad, also organized her life to be a part of the competition. “I had a wonderful time at Nationals and one of the highlights was feeling like I was right back at St. Andrews. Working with Pebbles, Jackie, Sarah Rhymer, Carla, Laura Norment, and especially Peggy made me feel like I was home again :) I was impressed, as always, by all the personal and "Southern-hospitality" touches (like the magnolia theme and the VIP tent for officials) that were made present throughout such a large event. I had really hoped I would have been able to attend for the full week, but I could only arrange childcare for the long weekend. I enjoyed assisting in course setting, picking up lunches with Andrew Michael, stocking the VIP tent, setting up the draw, keeping the "ducks in line" and helping with the Sunday breakdown/cleanup. I also loved seeing all the wonderful riders and the many fantastic horses, who helped make Nationals a success. I was so grateful to be included in such a momentous event for St. Andrews and am so very proud of my Alma Mater for all its accomplishments and continued growth. “

Leah’s and Kira’s contributions are just two examples of the self-less contributions that came from the greater St. Andrews community.

Social Media Intern, Kimberly Graves, took on the challenge of documenting the planning and organization of the IHSA National Championships that we hosted in Raleigh, NC last May.

Part 6 concluded horse show management. Next week Part 8 - The St. Andrews Students

No comments:

Post a Comment