Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Last Home Show for Seniors


by Kirsten Farley
SAU IHSA Hunt Seat Show
February 22, 2014
Last Show of the Regular Season

 
When you think of college, you think of the four best years of your life. At St. Andrews, equestrian students not only get to have the college experience but they get to ride as well, which for many of our riders is the most important thing in their life. That is why this blog is dedicated our seniors. This past weekend was our last regular season show, and it was at SAU. For many it was just another show, for some though, this show marked the end of their collegiate riding career.
“The hardest part is to realize this is the seniors’ last show and that they won’t be here next year. It is hard to believe that it seems like just yesterday they were freshman, but I have seen how far their riding has progressed you can truly tell that they are seniors,” said director Peggy McElveen when she was asked about her take on the last show of the season. Parents, friends and other family members of some of the seniors came out to watch as these riders took the ring one last time.
I talked to a few of the seniors to ask them about their experience with IHSA. “I was so grateful to be able to qualify for Regionals and Zones my junior year. I feel like I have really progressed my riding abilities through IHSA, now it’s time to put these new skills to practical use,” was Alexandra Fullerton’s response to what she took away from the last four years of IHSA. Fullerton pinned 4th on her flat and 1st in her over fences in the show.
Keli Van den Heuvel, who earned 3rd, looked back at the biggest highlight from this season that happened for her. “I received my very first, first place on one of my favorite horses at SAU, Feeney. After I went to tell Matt, we both smiled and said ‘I can finally graduate!’ It was a very heart-warming moment for me; I can leave SAU this spring feeling proud of what I accomplished this season.”
Shiloh Kozlowski, who pinned 3rd, reflected on the past four years saying she was so glad for all the friendships she developed with great people, the chance to ride for some of the best coaches in the country, and making it to IHSA Nationals two years in row because of their help.
Tara Algeiri, who earned a 1st and 2nd place at the show, summarized it all by saying “It’s been a crazy experience being on this team. Today’s show is really bittersweet because it is the last time I can watch my friends ride and cheer them on.”
Seniors Racheall Dockery and Jake Hobson also competed in Saturday’s show. Dockery had a challenging ride in her novice flat and earned a 4th and Jake pinned 2nd on Big John in Walk Trot.
The team over all had a good day, sharing High Point Team with East Carolina University coached by Alum Alie McGraw.

No comments:

Post a Comment