Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Alumni Review by Taylor Carroll & Mary Thomson


St. Andrews Equestrian Program has developed a superior learning environment for the those interested in expanding their equestrian knowledge both on and off the horse.  The program offers valuable experience about the many facets if the equestrian industry.  St. Andrews prepares its graduates to go out into the industry as knowledgeable horsemen  pursuing their desired careers  and is very influential in job placement after graduation.

After graduating in 2012,  Allie McGraw became Assistant Barn Manager of Cottonwood Farm in Vanceborro, NC and the Assistant Coach for the East Carolina University Equestrian Team. In 2013 McGraw became the head coach of the team. Along with being the Assistant Barn Manager at Cottonwood, McGraw is also an assistant for Laura Underhill Norment who owns Graham Place that is run out of Cottonwood Farm.  When asked about how St. Andrews was helpful in her job search McGraw answered, “St. Andrews creates lots of ties and networks with students and those in the horse industry. I rode in a clinic with Laura and did my summer internship at Cottonwood before graduating."  

Kate McAlinn graduated in 2008 with a B.A. in Business Administration with a Concentration in Equine Business Management.  Part of this program included a summer internship at Cornell Cooperative Extension for the Chemung County 4H program. Job duties included planning and running horse shows and overseeing the youth knowledge programs, horse bowl and hippology. She says that after graduation the St. Andrews network introduced her to Canadian Team rider, Harold Chopping. Kate worked at Harold’s Solo Show Stables for two years learning more about the horse industry. She says, "If it hadn't been for the stable management class and all the hands on experience, I would not have been able to be head groom and help keep the barn organized and running smoothly."  Currently McAlinn has her own business in Smithfield, NC called Sunchaser Equestrian LLC. "I am grateful for all the experience that St. Andrews has given to me leading me to where I am today" claims McAlinn.

After graduating in 2007 with a B.A. in Communications, Christina Kalinski talks about her journey since leaving St. Andrews. "Life after St. Andrews has been a marvelous adventure. Many of the doors I have walked through have been opened in some way, shape, or form by my experience, contacts, and techniques I developed at St. Andrews. After graduating I landed a dream job working and riding at a private "A" show/ sales barn. I rode all day long and learned a tremendous amount about all aspects of the business. I spent my summers in New York and my winters in the heart of the horse show world in Wellington, FL. The job continuously changed as I learned and experienced more. I was able to refine and define the skills I wanted to use in making myself the best professional I can possibly be. I have experienced several other wonderful job opportunities since St. Andrews and am currently working on the "A" circuit riding, teaching, and perusing my passion."

Heather Jackson Merrell is a recent St. Andrews graduate who has used the knowledge she gained at school to open her own private boarding facility. While at St. Andrews, Merrell majored in Therapeutic Horsemanship. She graduated in 2010, and in March of 2012 she opened Lone Tree Farm where she offers boarding, lessons, and sales. Merrell says that a degree from St. Andrews has helped her most with the business and legal aspects of running a barn. When asked what she missed most about St. Andrews she said, “I really miss the small community we had. It was so nice to be at a small campus where you knew everyone.”

Sami Cram graduated from St. Andrews in May of 2013 with a B.S. in Biology. Shortly after graduating she went to work for Kent Farrington, LLC. About working for Kent she said, “The job has given me the opportunity to work with the best horses, the best riders and to travel the world. The job has truly been a dream come true. I’ve been able to groom, ride and most importantly learn from the best.” Most recently Cram has been put in charge of marketing and sales which she thought might be a challenge as a Biology major. However, she said that other classes such as Sage and Senior Seminar helped her to be calm when presenting information to clients. Cram said, “St. Andrews is a major factor to the success I have had after graduating.”

While at St. Andrews, Cram was highly involved at the barn organizing horse shows, teaching some lessons, and being an ambassador for the team. She said that the staff is the best part about St. Andrews. “The people I met, the life lessons I learned, and the incredible support of my peers and the staff is something I will always have” she said. When asked what she missed most about St. Andrews Cram replied, “There are so many things I miss about St. Andrews. The staff, I would say, is the part I miss most... there are always smiling faces to be there for you whether it is school related or not. You gain a "family" when you attend St. Andrews.” Cram had some great advice for current and future students saying, “This world is a lot about who you meet and the impressions you make.”

No comments:

Post a Comment