Thursday, January 30, 2014

Non-Traditional Students by Kacie Carter

I had the opportunity to interview some of the non-traditional students at St. Andrews to get a little bit of background on them and what drew them to the University.  I first heard back from Carey Andrews who was drawn to the Therapeutic Horsemanship Program that St. Andrew’s has to offer.  Having waited to go to college after High School due to family circumstances, Carey rents a small house about five minutes away from campus as her parents live in Morehead City, NC.  Carey enjoys the smaller campus that St. Andrews offers but admits that like some of the other, older, “non-traditional” students the age gap can be a bit of a struggle.  Being close to campus allows Carey to do work study at the barn as well as volunteer with the Ride-Like-A-Knight program which she finds very rewarding; she enjoys her riding lessons as well.

Rebecca Pacheco was my second interviewee and she sounds like she has her hands full but is really staying on top of the demands of being a non-traditional student.  After being accepted to both Campbell University and NC State University, Rebecca was encouraged to look into St. Andrews as an alternative and fell in love with the Equestrian program.  She is currently working on an Interdisciplinary Major incorporating Therapeutic Horsemanship, Psychology and Small Business Ownership.

While this is her first semester, I think she has the right positive attitude to make her school experience work.  Rebecca has quite the balancing act ahead of her as she states her biggest struggle being, “the delicate balancing act of full time employment, full time enrollment, a husband, 3 step-children, and a round trip commute of 2.5 hours”.  I look forward to hearing more about Rebecca’s future success!

Kacie, 8 years old with Hershey
Kacie with Cliff "my daily inspiration"
Photo permission Tobe Saskor
In my own instance, I was drawn to St. Andrews after several years of boarding horses in various situations that were just never up to par for me.  I grew up riding but once I left home, I also had to give up horses.  College at that time just wasn't an option for me.  To make a long story short, after spending years as a Registered Nurse, my husband and I decided that some day we wanted to be able to take care of our own horses and the best way to do that was with a proper education.  Every barn I visited, when I asked what their qualifications were for running the facility the most common answer was, “I've been around horses my whole life”.  I just decided that wasn't good enough for me.  If we were going to do this, I wanted to do it right.  After all, I owe it to my horses to take the best possible care of them.  And that is how I now find myself a senior in the Equine Business Management program.

I also had the pleasure of hearing back from Jennifer Almond, a fellow Senior, here at St Andrews.  She like many students was drawn to St Andrew’s for the Therapeutic Horsemanship Program and the partnership that St Andrew’s has with PATH International.  A native of Stanly County, Jennifer commutes over an hour each way to get to classes each day.  She enjoys taking riding lessons as they are helping her to learn more while getting more physically fit.  Like many of us that are a bit older, Jennifer, just like myself, sometimes finds it difficult blending in with the younger students.

Last but not least I had the pleasure of not just an email but a pleasant conversation with Niki Cox.  Another Therapeutic Horsemanship Major, Niki commutes from Fayetteville full time for classes while also maintaining full time employment.  Growing up in a small town south of Syracuse, NY, Niki grew up trail riding.  She has her Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems and has spent the last 15 years working in the pharmaceutical industry.  A natural at working with others and a desire to help others learn was all it took to get Niki hooked after an opportunity to volunteer at a local Therapeutic Horsemanship Facility.  She has been a student at St Andrew’s since May of 2013.  One of her favorite parts is the Ride-Like-A-Knight program as it partners with county schools and the community to provide real world experiences.  Like most of us, Niki admits to struggling with the responsibilities of full time employment, school, being a wife and a mother all at the same time.

While we may be a small part of the St Andrew’s Equestrian community, I think it’s nice to know that we are not alone in our efforts.  Sometimes, when you decide to go back to school as an adult, it can be hard especially if you feel like you are alone in what you are doing.  This has opened my eyes to show that there is more to the “Non-Traditional” Student than meets the eye.  So, if you happen to see one of us walking down the hall, or we are in your class, don’t be afraid to say hello or partner up with us in a group.  Just because we don’t live on campus doesn't mean that we don’t have a lot to bring to the table or years of experience to share.

A Military Friendly School
For five years St. Andrews University has been recognized as a Military Friendly School by Victory Media, the premier media entity for military personnel transitioning into civilian life. Victory Media recognizes schools that exhibit leading practices in the recruitment and retention of students with military experience. These schools have world-class programs and policies for student support on campus, academic accreditation, credit policies, flexibility and other services to those who served and their families. “Inclusion on the 2014 list of Military Friendly Schools shows St. Andrews University’s commitment to providing a supportive environment for military students,” said Sean Collins, vice president at Victory Media.


No comments:

Post a Comment